Garden fresh! Celebrate the summer harvest with this easy roasted tomato sauce (salsa al pomodoro) recipe.
With canned tomato sauces weighing in at a hefty 1000 mg sodium or more per cup, I was hard pressed to find one I could have on a low sodium diet. After researching several recipes for tomato sauce, I finally came up with a tasty solution to my problem that is low in sodium, and wasn’t too hard to make.
4 cups of ripe tomatoes, chopped (roughly 8 medium sized tomatoes)
2 1/2 Tablespoons garlic, peeled
2 Tablespoons low-sodium tomato paste
1/4 teaspoon [brown] sugar
3 Tablespoons basil, chopped
Yield: 4 cups.
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Place the chopped tomatoes in a (non-reactive) Dutch oven or pot that can go in the oven as well as on the stove top.
3. Drizzle the half of the grape seed oil on top of the chopped tomatoes. In a separate small ramekin, place the peeled garlic cloves and cover with the remaining grape seed oil.
4. Cover and place in the oven. Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes. Roasting the tomatoes helps to bring out the flavors.
5. Remove from oven and place on stove top. Add tomato paste, roasted garlic, brown sugar, and remaining (roasted garlic) grape seed oil.
6. Puree with an immersion hand blender, or if not available, use a blender or food processor.
7. Add chopped basil and stir.
8. Simmer over medium heat for another 10-15 minutes
Serve!! Happy Eating.